- 1 pre-made pie crust
- FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes
- 2 large orange sweet potatoes
- 1 head kale, thoroughly washed, dried and massaged
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom
- Gravy, for serving (optional)
This Maple Sweet Potato Spiral Tart is totally stunning and much easier to make than you'd guess! Give it a try for the holidays. And if you're looking for a peeler to give you maximum slicing ease, we suggest these!
- Firstly, make the mashed potato base. Boil purple sweet potatoes until tender. In a bowl mash together boiled potatoes, heavy cream, maple syrup, melted butter, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch pie dish or tart pan and place crust dough in the pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the dough cools, slice potatoes for the filling. Slice purple sweet potatoes and orange sweet potatoes very thinly. It helps if you do this with a peeler.
- After 15 minutes, scoop or pipe mashed potatoes evenly into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Now you'll begin creating the spiral sweet potato layers. Wrap one potato strip very tightly and place it in the center, using the mashed potato base to keep it secure. Roll the next slice of sweet potato around the first slice. Continue wrapping, alternating between sweet potato colors and kale, until the tart is full and all of your potato slices have been used.
- Pour olive oil over the top and season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft and the crust is golden. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice, serve Maple Sweet Potato Spiral Tart with gravy if desired, and enjoy!