- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Yellow, green and blue food coloring, gel or liquid
- Green and yellow sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together egg, sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons milk. Slowly combine wet and dry ingredients until everything is fully combined and you have a thick cake batter.
- Divide batter evenly into 4 bowls. Drop food coloring into bowls to create very light green, light green, green and dark green. For the light greens, use more yellow, for the dark greens, use blue. Mix until color is combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool completely. Once cooled, use a breadknife to level out the tops.
- While cakes cool, make frosting. In a large bowl, beat together powdered sugar, softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk. If the frosting is too dry, add more milk. Too wet, add more powdered sugar.
- Layer cakes, from the bottom, in order of darkest to lightest, spreading frosting between each layer. Frost the entire mini cake, cover with sprinkles, serve Mini Shamrock Ombre Cakes and enjoy!