- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup cocktail onions, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced mortadella
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
Hello! Here comes the time to relax! Another time to have a super great meal. We have something special for you- MUFFULETTA! There is no way you won’t enjoy it, too; all you have to do is to give it a try! Do you even know that these gigantic sandwiches were invented a century ago at Silicon Deli in New Orleans?
Even though muffuletta is tricky to make, that doesn’t mean you can’t prepare it. All you have to do is to tell yourself you got this! It is another great way of having fun at home. It is gonna worth every bit of time spend on it, trust us! If you have been to an Italian grocery before, you will notice the intense aroma that overcomes you- potent dried oregano, genoa salami, and freshly chopped pepperoncini.
Just know that all these fresh Italian ingredients are going into this handcrafted sandwich. So, what are the ingredients you need for this muffuletta? To prepare this muffuletta, you will need chopped pimiento-stuffed olives, olive oil, finely chopped celery rib, chopped and sliced pepperoncini, Greek olives, drained and chopped cocktail onions, and vinegar red wine. Also, capers, minced garlic cloves, dried oregano, dried basil, pepper, kosher salt, and celery seed are necessary. Finally, get unsliced Italian bread, thinly sliced genoa salami, sliced mortadella, sliced swiss cheese, and sliced provolone cheese.
The fact that the ingredients are voluminous and how tricky it is to prepare the meal is enough to get you intimidated and discouraged. But you know what? Don’t be, just get ready to have fun! Alright, it is time to get this delicious meal prepared!
- To make the olive salad- in a medium bowl, combine almost all the ingredients together except for salami, ham, mortadella, swiss, and provolone cheese. Mix them together and transfer the mixture into a glass jar. Cover the jar or container and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Now, for the sandwich, cut loaves of bread in half horizontally; hollow out some of the bread in other to make space or room for the filling. Then spread the other ingredients that were not used in making an olive salad on each piece of bread. Replace the ‘top half’ on each loaf and cut the sandwich into quarters. Serve it immediately
Better still, you can wrap it tightly and refrigerate for a few hours (this would allow the flavors to mingle and the olive oil to soak into the bread). Enjoy!