- 1 pita pocket, sliced in half
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped – optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- Salt and pepper
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, optional
Mushroom Kale Pitas, i.e., using warm pita bread for the fold. Kale, mushrooms, garlic, pepper, hummus, and some fresh crunchy lettuce for the fillings. Mushroom Kale Pitas made judicious use of much mushrooms, as mushrooms are a very yummy ingredient (loaded with flavor, good taste, and sweetness). Also, garlic and a tiny bit of seared kale do wonders with the mushrooms. The Mushroom Kale Pitas has three main ingredients, which are the mushrooms, pitas, and kales. The three components are very healthy and nutritious. Only the kale helps lower cholesterol. It is also an excellent source of both vitamin C and vitamin K. Kale to use should be skillet-sautéed. It is seared with loads of dark green-still perky color. We love to overcook our kale and get it to be dark green and mushy. Sauté the kale with garlic, onions, black pepper, cider vinegar to get it soft and flavourful. One peculiar thing about the mushroom kale pita is that you can have as many leafy greens in it as possible, so add nutritious greens of your choice as you deem fit. Pita is the yeast-leavened round flatbreads baked from wheat flour. The pita to use will have pockets in which the sumptuous fillings can be put in. We love to make our pita to be warm, soft, and also thick. What made up the fillings include the hummus, garlicky skillet mushrooms with onions, skillet-sautéed kale, and cabbage, leaves of crisp romaine. One thing we love about the mushroom kale pita is the fact that it is effortless to make, and it doesn’t take time. The total time for preparation is just 15 minutes. Enjoy!
- Warm a skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and optional onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes.Then add in the mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and slightly browned on the edges. Push the mushroom mixture over to one side of the pan and then add the kale to the other side. I like to cover my pan with a lid and then turn heat to low for this part. Allow the kale to steam and wilt for a minute or two.
- Remove the lid from the pan and turn off heat. Add the vinegar to the side of the pan with the kale. Season mushrooms and kale with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast pita. Cut into two halves. Add hummus to the pita.
- Add the kale and mushrooms to the pitas – really stuff them in! Add the fresh romaine. Serve!