- 1 1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or cilantro (optional)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup roasted slivered almonds
- 5 cups chopped organic mixed salad greens
- 1 cup dried red cherries (organic when possible)
- Add macadamia nuts to a food processor or a high-speed blender along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, sea salt, and the lesser amount of water. Mix/blend, scraping down sides as needed. Then add more water 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time until a thick paste forms. I find I get the best texture results with a food processor, but in a pinch, a blender can work too. It just generally requires more scraping and more liquid.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, lemon juice for acidity/brightness, or garlic powder for garlic flavor. Blend again to combine. If adding herbs, add at this time.
- Transfer "cheese" to cheesecloth (or a thin, clean towel) and rest over a fine mesh strainer set over a mixing bowl. Twist the top of the cheesecloth so it forms a loose ball. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, up to 24-36 hours. The longer it chills, the firmer the "cheese" will become.
- In the meantime, prepare tahini dressing by adding tahini, lemon juice, and maple syrup to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon for acidity or maple syrup for sweetness. Set aside.
- Once cheese is slightly chilled (at least 15-20 minutes), plate salad by adding mixed greens, almonds, and cherries to a serving platter or dividing between serving bowls. Top with tahini dressing and serve with macadamia cheese in a bowl.