- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1-1/8 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup bacon drippings or olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
This stewed recipe is a complete comfort meal, spices that will bring back good memories and enhance the flavor of this dish. This is one of those recipes that remind us of home and is so good and soothing that you will find yourself making it every other day.
While this recipe requires many ingredients, is not hard to make and the process is very simple, most of the ingredients involved in this recipe are spices that enhance the flavor of our dish. Basically we will be prepping and cooking our chicken over some nice white rice, everything under one hour tops and you will have a comforting meal ready to go.
Our seasoning is based on dried parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and onion powder, white and cayenne pepper, rubbed sage, chicken drumsticks and thighs, olive oil, all-purpose flour, fresh mushrooms, onions, green pepper, celery rib, jalapeno, garlic, chicken stock, green onions, and pepper sauce. Plus a nice bowl of cooked rice.
If you choose to store or freeze this just make it in separate portions and serve you want for that day over a pan with extra broth if needed. For those trying to lower the calories, you can skip the bacon drippings or serve on top of some zoodles instead of hot rice. Nice and quick meal ready to serve on top of anything you choose. Full of flavors and ingredients that will enlighten your palette once you take a bite of it. Enjoy!
- Chop and slice all the vegetables, green onions, jalapeno pepper, celery, green pepper, onions, mushrooms, and the other spices will become part of the base of the stew. The first step is to mix the chopped parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and onion powder with both white pepper, cayenne, and some sage over the chicken. We need to massage the seasoning all over the chicken to make sure it absorbs all seasoning.
- Then cook the chicken. We can use olive oil or bacon drippings and cook the chicken until it is nice and brown, then take it out of the pan and in the same pan add the all flour until it mixes with the bacon dripping or olive oil.
- Lowered to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes, then add the chopped veggies, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook until fragrant and tender.
- Add remaining jalapenos pepper, garlic, and thyme and stir for one or two minutes. Once your vegetables are tender you want to add the stock and bring back the chicken, let it boil on lower heat, and cover it. Let it cook for half an hour to an hour.
- Before serving remove any fat from your broth, add green onions pepper sauce and pepper, taste for flavor. And serve on top of nice hot rice.