Skip to content
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large russet potato, wash, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped uncooked sausage and cook until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the pot and cook until onion is translucent. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add potato and bacon. Slowly add the chicken broth and water and stir occasionally. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the cooked sausage mixture and your kale. Cook for about 5 minutes, simmering slightly. Remove from the heat, check for taste and then serve.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.