Serves: 12 people
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup passion fruit puree, thaw if frozen
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fleur de sel
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 limes
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine cream, puree, and fleur de sel, bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until a pale yellow color is achieved (about 4-5 minutes). Gradually add in the cream to the egg and sugar mixture, mix until smooth. Then pour through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher.
- Divide mixture between 6 ramekins. Arrange in a large roasting pan and pour enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake until custard is set around the edges but jiggle in the middle when slightly shaken, about 55-60 minutes. Carefully remove and let cool to room temperature. Then chill for 2 or more hours until ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream , lime zest and a sprinkle of fleur de sel for garnish.