Serves: 4 people
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 slices
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl combine the milk, cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla, beat well and set aside. Arrange sliced bread in a large shallow bowl. Pour the liquid mixture over the bread. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Remove from heat and whisk in the brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, and pecans.
- Spread this mixture evenly across the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish. Carefully arrange the soaked bread on top. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm.