- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup liquid glucose/light corn syrup
- Few drops black gel food coloring
- 6 Granny Smith apples or 12 small apples (Ensure your apples are fresh and haven't been waxed)
- Wooden or bamboo skewers for dipping the apples
- Grease a piece of baking paper and place it on a tray/baking sheet.
- Insert bamboo skewers in all the apples and set them aside.
- In a medium pot, combine the sugar, water, glucose/corn syrup, and food coloring and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture feels smooth when you rub it between your fingers.
- When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up and wash the sides of the pot down with a pastry brush dipped into clean water to prevent crystals from forming.
- Allow the caramel to boil until it reaches the hard crack stage (150°c/310°F on a candy thermometer).
- Carefully dip the apples into the hot candy mixture and place it on the baking paper to set and cool for approximately an hour before serving.