- 1/4 cup onion, grated
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and grate potatoes. Once grated, strain potatoes through a colander, pressing out excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine grated potatoes, beaten eggs, grated onions, chopped shallots, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a deep pan over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot. Using your hands, form latke patties from the mixture and gently place them into the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until latkes are crispy and golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate or drying rack. Continue with the remaining potato mixture until it’s used up, adding more oil to the pan when necessary.
- Serve Potato Latkes alongside sour cream and apple sauce. Enjoy! You can keep them warm in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.