Happy Hanukkah! There are a few things everyone knows to be true about this holiday: you must win all the dreidel gelt, getting socks 4 out of the 8 nights is so much better as an adult and that Potato Latkes are one of the most delicious things in the world! Now you can make your own! But the real question is do you like your latkes with apple sauce or sour cream?
- Peel and grate potatoes. Once grated, strain potatoes through a colander, pressing out excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine grated potatoes, beaten eggs, grated onions, chopped shallots, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a deep pan over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot. Using your hands, form latke patties from the mixture and gently place them into the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until latkes are crispy and golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate or drying rack. Continue with the remaining potato mixture until it’s used up, adding more oil to the pan when necessary.
- Serve Potato Latkes alongside sour cream and apple sauce. Enjoy! You can keep them warm in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.