- 6 ounces soyrizo OR pork chorizo removed from casing
- 1/4 cup red onion peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/4 canned green chiles chopped (OR 1/2 green bell pepper, diced)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons milk optional
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 handful cilantro roughly chopped
While there’s no such thing as the perfect dish, Queso Fundido comes pretty close. Queso Fundido means “molten cheese” in Spanish and this tasty treat really lives up to its name. It’s made of baked cheese that’s been mixed with softened onions, garlic, and peppers. Are you drooling yet? Would you believe us if we told you that this dream dish is not only delicious but also easy to make? Maybe the perfect dish does exist! This recipe for Queso Fundido brings together all the best things in life; gooey cheese, spicy peppers, and savory spices. It’s also an extremely flexible recipe, so don’t be afraid to get creative! If you’re feeling fancy, add some chorizo to the mix! This will make the Queso Fundido a little more hearty, elevating it from a humble appetizer to a decadent main course. If you like to take things up a notch when it comes to spice, then throw in a diced jalapeno or two! Really, the main focus of Queso Fundido is the delicious melty cheese, so as long as you have that you can let your imagination run wild! The one rule you absolutely have to stick to with this recipe is grating your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses are usually coated in a stabilizing chemical that keeps them from drying out in the bag. These stabilizers make the cheese less melty and will leave your Queso Fundido with a lot of greasy clumps. So while pre-shredded cheese may save you some prep time, it’s not worth it in the end! Put in the elbow grease, and grate your own cheese! To make the Queso Fundido, start by cooking the chorizo if you’re using it. If not, then start by sauteeing the red onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Next, dump in all your shredded cheese and dash of milk, and mix that baby into gooey goodness. It’s going to look good enough to eat now, but hold out for just a little longer!
- Pop the whole pan into a 400-degree oven and let it bake for 5 - 7 minutes.
- When you take it out, it will be extra bubbly and the edges will have beautiful crispiness.
- This recipe goes so quickly, it’s also important to have everything ready so you can dive right in when the cheese is still bubbly and melty.
- If you let the finished Queso Fundido sit for too long it will start to cool down and solidify.
- So make sure you’ve got your margaritas pre-mixed and your bag of tortilla chips open and waiting!
- Once the Queso Fundido is out of the oven, top it with sliced avocado and sprinkle some fresh cilantro on top.