- Pizza dough of choice
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chives, sliced into 1/4" slices
- Pinch sea salt & pepper
- Toppings: cooked bacon, fresh basil, avocado
Kylie wrote this recipe through improvisation and intuition, spurred on by some of her favorite egg accompaniments and pizza tricks. Be glad she did! This is a tasty twist on quiche that will invite your creativity and leave your taste buds dancing. It’s a one-skillet baked dish, easy to prepare and delicious for the whole family.
You will need pizza dough. Make it at home or buy it pre-made, the choice is yours. Lay the rolled-out dough in a large skillet greased with olive oil and a pinch of cornmeal, letting a bit of the edge of the dough hang slightly over the side of the skillet.
Next scramble some eggs (just mixed, not cooked!) with cheese and whatever else you might like—bell peppers, onions, ham, mushrooms … the list goes on. Spinach! Because Popeye is the best thing ever. And it is very healthy. Remember to measure the scrambled-egg ingredients so that they fit in the skillet in such a way that the top of the dough is still visible.
Now to bake. It needs to bake hot. 450 degrees Fahrenheit is good. Bake for about 25 minutes, but check frequently to make sure the crust is not browning too much before the eggs set. If you are afraid the crust is getting burnt, cover it with some aluminum foil.
Once the eggs have set, toss on some toppings. Kylie went for avocado, bacon, and basil, but the sky’s the limit. Quiche-pizza-pie has never tasted so good! All the best.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Grease a skillet with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to make it super non-stick. Press pizza dough into skillet and up onto sides.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, bell peppers, tomatoes, chives, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the un-baked pizza dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set. Check after 10 minutes to see if pizza crust is browning too quickly.
- If it is, cover the crust edges with foil and then continue baking until eggs are set. Top with bacon, basil and avocado slices. Slice & serve!