Serves: 12 people
Cooking Time: 3 hour
Red Velvet Dough:
- 1 package red velvet cake mix, regular size
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 ½ to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups warm water
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Valentine's sprinkle, optional
Red velvet dough:
- Combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine red velvet cake mix and 1 cup flour with a whisk. Once the yeast has bloomed, mix it in with the red velvet mixture using a wooden spoon or bench scraper.
- Add additional flour and knead by hand to form a soft dough.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray and place dough inside.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a warm place for an hour until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg set aside.
- After the dough has risen place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a large rectangle about ¼ "thick.
- Spread melted butter over the dough and sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
- Start from the farthest edge and carefully roll the dough into a log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Place cinnamon rolls in a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for another 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Spread topping over warm rolls.
- Sprinkle with Valentine's sprinkles.