- 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Onion
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 2 olives
- 6 slices fresh cheese
- 6 boiled Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & Pepper
Put some spice into your life by preparing Rocoto Relleno for yourself! Even though this Peruvian dish may look very similar to stuffed red bell peppers, don’t be deceived; it packs a spicy punch! You should give this meal a try. There is no way you won’t fall in love with it. Rocoto Relleno is the Peruvian version of stuffed peppers. Instead of mill red peppers, it is prepared with native and iconic Peruvian rocoto peppers. It can also be called “rocotos peruanos.” Even though it is more popular in Arequipa, you will definitely love Rocoto Relleno for its savory flavors. You will love the soft texture and cheesy flavors of this meal.
Yes, Rocoto Relleno peppers are very spicy, you will need to quell the spiciness so that everyone can enjoy it. Scraping out the seeds and veins is a great idea, but it is not enough. The best way is to boil it in water and sugar mixture about three times in other to tame this fiery pepper.
To prepare this Peruvian dish, you will need rocotos, which is very important. Get ground beef, milk, onion, hardboiled eggs, fresh olive cheese, boiled potatoes, chopped parsley, cumin, oregano, and seasoning in place. You will also need oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Are you ready to dive into the world of Rocoto Relleno? If you are ready, we are ready too! Let’s get it done!!!
- Taming the heat of the rocotos, to do this, scrape the seeds and ribs from the inside of the rocotos, put the rocotos in a pan containing water-sugar solution, bring it to boil, and discard the water-sugar solution. Repeat this operation three times.
- Now begin the main cooking by frying onion that has been chopped into small cubes. When the onion starts to brown, season it with salt and cumin, then mix and add ground meat.
- Now, fry a few minutes until the color of the meat changes. Season it with salt, oregano, and pepper to taste.
- Next, add chopped parsley, and chopped eggs. Mix them together and remove it from the heat.
- Fill the rocotos with the mixture and place them in a baking dish and cover each one of them. Place them in an oven that has been preheated to a temperature of about 350ºF.
- Lastly, place a slice of cheese on top of each potato and put it in the baking sheet along with the rocotos.
- Sprinkle it with milk, and place it back in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve it with potato, and enjoy yourself.
Note: It is wise to make use of gloves to protect the hands, and wash rocotos thoroughly when you finish. Do not touch your eyes!
Note: You can also make use of shrimps or chicken in the preparation.
Note: To bring a bit of bright freshness to this savory meal, pair it with Peruvian salad. Enjoy this dish full of burning passion!