Don't just drink the perfect sangria, eat the perfect Sangria Cupcake! Sangria Cupcakes will feel like summer has followed you into fall.
- Pre-heat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, prepare vanilla cake mix per package instructions. Fold in diced strawberries, diced apples, and 1 tablespoon of orange zest.
- Carefully pour batter into cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking, you can begin your icing. Pour red wine into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar until dissolved. Reduce the wine reduction until you’re left with a thick syrup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer, combine butter, shortening, 1/2 tablespoon of orange zest, and vanilla extract. Mix until light and fluffy.
- While mixing, add in 3 to 4 tablespoons of the wine reduction. Start with 3, taste, and adjust to your liking.
- Once the wine is combined, very slowly add powdered sugar. If the frosting feels too dry, add more wine reduction. If it feels too wet, add a touch more sugar. When frosting is done, remove it from the mixer and place it in a Ziploc bag or piping bag for decorating.
- Once cupcakes have completely cooled, decorate with your wine-infused buttercream. Garnish with sliced strawberries and oranges, or any other fruit of your choice. Serve Sangria Cupcakes and enjoy!