- 2 (13.5 ounces) cans Andre Prost Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian bulk sausage, hot or sweet
- 1 large red onion, 1/2 “dice
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, 1/2“dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 7 cups cubed bread like ciabatta (14-16 ounce loaf)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Optional: 1 cup lactose free cheese such as Daiya
- Grease a 9” X 13” baking dish. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high temperature. Add sausage, stir-fry until broken up, and start to lose its pink color. Add onion, pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and salt. Pepper to taste. Sauté until cooked. Transfer skillet ingredients to a large bowl and add bread. Mix well and pour into the baking dish. Distribute evenly and refrigerate.
- Beat eggs, Coconut Milk, mustard, and basil in a large mixing bowl. Pour evenly across the bread mixture. Poke with a fork and press down to make sure all liquid is soaked into ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 60 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese (if desired) and bake 10 minutes longer or until puffed and golden. A knife inserted in middle should pull out clean. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.