- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 15 ounce can white beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onions
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup arugula or other greens
- 4 slices whole grain bread
I’ll have a smashed white bean and avocado sandwich, please – and make it snappy.
No one loves a good sandwich like my mom, and she’s an excellent sandwich maker. Growing up, I’d just sit at the kitchen table devouring mama’s delicious sandwiches. My favorite sandwich was the one she used to make with avocado and smashed white bean. But it wasn’t always like that; I used to be a meat lover and the idea of vegetarian sandwich always put me off.
This recipe is the superstar of all vegetarian sandwiches. The combo of white beans smashed into a thick, creamy protein-rich spread together with the smooth, buttery texture, and rich flavor of fresh avocados is purely magical. Tired of having salad every day for lunch? Yes, we know how that feels and that’s why we bring you smashed white bean and avocado sandwich.
They make a nutritious, delicious, and easy to make lunch or dinner – they are super quick to make too! Again, what’s a party without appetizers? This sandwich recipe is also the way to go – these bad boys are an all-rounder! With this recipe, making healthy and nutrient-packed sandwiches at home won’t be an onerous task anymore.
The whole process is as easy as mashing up the combination of avocados and white beans, and mixing with other ingredients such as red onion, lemon juice, olive oil etc. Voila! Your sandwich filling is ready. Customize the recipe by substituting black beans or chickpeas for white beans and for your topping, fresh tomatoes and sprouts are recommended.
This sandwich is best served immediately, but it could stay a day in the fridge. To store, pack in an airtight container so the avocado doesn’t turn brown. If you’re making them for a picnic, you can try the wax paper trick – you put the mixture in a container and cover with wax paper. Hold down the wax paper making sure there’s no space for air and then use a rubber band to seal the container round. That way, they would stay fresh and yummy for a while longer.
- Place avocado, olive oil and juice and zest of lime in a bowl and use a fork to mash until smooth.
- Add white beans to the bowl and use a fork to mash into the avocados. Stir in the red onions and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place arugula on top of two slices of the whole grain bread. Divide the mixture on top and then add the other slices of bread. Slice the sandwiches in half and Enjoy!