- 3 large eggs, separated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounces grated Gruyère or Cheddar
- 1 ounces grated Parmesan
- Minced fresh sage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Separate the eggs: yolks into a small bowl and whites into a large bowl. Beat the egg yolks with a fork, seasoning well with salt and pepper, until well mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites using a whisk, electric hand blender, or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, until they form soft peaks.
- Using a large metal spoon, quickly fold the egg yolks into the egg whites and stir well until whites are thoroughly combined and soufflé base has a looser consistency. Add half the Gruyère, half the Parmesan and sage at the same time until well combined.
- In a 9- or 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat, until foaming. Using spatula, spread soufflé base into an even circle and smooth out the surface. Give it a good hefty shake to even it out. Cover and cook until the bottom of the omelette is browned and the top is just barely set.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover and cook until cheese starts to melt, about 1 minute longer.
- Carefully slide the omelette out of the pan and onto a warm serving plate, folding it over itself. Serve right away.