- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 2/3 cups vanilla wafers, plus few more for garnish
- Combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk the sugar, flour, and salt together in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the milk until combined, then place the pan over medium heat. Heat the mixture until thickened.
- Whisk the milk mixture into the yolks. Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. While whisking the yolks vigorously, slowly drizzle in the milk mixture. Return everything back to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Make the first cookie layer. Sprinkle half of the crumbled vanilla wafers into a baking dish.
- Top with half the bananas. Place half of the sliced bananas over the crumbled wafers.
- Top with half the pudding. Dollop half of the warm pudding over the bananas.
- Repeat layering once more with the remaining wafers, bananas, and pudding.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Top with more crumbled cookies, if desired.