Serves: 4 people
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 16 oz Italian bread loaf
- Butter & garlic powder for bread
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, divided in half
- 2/3 C Mozzarella cheese, divided in half
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, generous
- 1 tsp salt + a pinch
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Parsley, chopped (garnish)
- Firstly, Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Brown beef & sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion while browning meat. When brown, drain off any excess fat and return to the skillet. Add tomato sauce, paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt & pepper. Mix well. Simmer for 5-8 minutes. Add cooked pasta. Mix well again and remove from heat.
- While the meat sauce is simmering, carve out the middle of the loaf. Remove any remaining bread to create a large hollow. Brush insides of the hollow with butter. Sprinkle it with garlic powder. Toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- When the bread is toasted, spoon the prepared spaghetti & meat sauce into the hollow, filling it completely. (You will have spaghetti & meat sauce leftover). Top with the cheeses.
- Bake at 375° for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden. Remove from the oven, garnish with parsley, and gently cut with a bread knife to serve.