- 1 poblano pepper
- 1–3 individual chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14–ounce package extra firm tofu
If you’ve ever been to Mexico or you’re a chipotle regular and you’re reading this, you probably will be smiling because this dish is going to make your tastebuds go crazy! Spicy Sofritas Tofu is an incredibly delicious Mexican dish made from crumbled tofu mixed with an exquisite and flavorful sauce made from a delightful combination of chipotle peppers, garlic, salsa, and onion.
This dish fits every type of mood – well almost. If you’re like me and you don’t like having just this dish alone, don’t sweat it, there are so many amazing combos; you can serve it up with a bowl of burrito, quesadillas, salads, rice with fresh avocados, collard green wraps, or tacos. This sofritas tofu recipe is a healthy vegan dish – it is packed with protein and it’s gluten-free. This recipe is about to be your favorite Mexican dish because it is so easy and can be made quickly under 30 minutes.
So what is sofritas? Since this dish was made popular by Chipotle, most people define sofritas as a “spicy shredded or ground tofu in a peppery, tomatoey sauce.” Wiki defines sofritas as “a sauce used as a base in Latin American, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese cooking. Preparations may vary, but it typically consists of aromatic ingredients, cut into small pieces and sautéed or braised in cooking oil.”
- Roast the Poblano: Hold the poblano over the flame on a gas range until it’s hot and blistery. Alternatively: turn the oven to the broil setting, coat the poblano with oil, place on a baking sheet, and roast for 15 minutes at a time until it’s soft and blistered.
- Make a Sofritas Sauce: Place poblano, chipotles, garlic, spices, and salsa in a small blender or food processor (EXCEPT tofu). Pulse until a mostly smooth paste forms.
- Make the Sofritas Tofu: Slice the tofu and press with a clean towel to remove as much excess moisture as you can (the drier the tofu, the better it soaks up the sauce).
- Heat a drizzle of oil over medium high heat. Scramble the tofu into small bits with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add the sofritas sauce with 1/2 cup water.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is richly colored and thickened slightly. Add more water as necessary, and season to taste with the salt and lime juice.
- Serve: Serve in tacos, burritos, and mega rice bowls!