Serves: 8-10 people
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs; room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk; room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt; room temperature
- 2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- Strawberry preserves.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together Swans Down Cake Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer at medium speed with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an oset spatula. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cake layers for 24 to 25 minutes, until the top and edges are golden, cakes spring back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool cakes for 15 minutes in pans on a wire rack before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat butter and salt in a large mixing bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- Add in powdered sugar on low speed 1 cup at a time until incorporated, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Gradually mix in 4 tablespoons of strawberry preserves until combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat the frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
To Assemble the cake:
- Place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand and use an oset spatula to swirl frosting over top of cake.
- Pipe a ring of frosting around the outer edge of the cake layer and fill the center of the cake layer with strawberry preserves and 1 cup of thinly sliced strawberries. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on the second cake layer and place the layer (frosting side down) over the strawberries.
- Chill the stacked cake for 20 minutes.
- Use oset spatula to apply a layer of frosting to the top and sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then use a bench scraper to gently smooth the edges of the cake and remove any excess frosting.
- If desired, pipe remaining frosting decoratively on the top cake layer.
- Chill the frosted cake for 30 minutes before serving. Top with fresh strawberries.