- 3 lbs chicken wings (flats/drumettes)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 8 cloves garlic (minced or garlic-pressed)
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 green onion/scallion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 apple
The summertime is officially here! It’s time to break out the trusty grill and prepare for a season of culinary creations. Maybe its time to try Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings!
These wings are guaranteed to impress at the annual cookout. Juicy, tender chicken wings tossed in a sweet BBQ glaze. Cut with the perfect amount of spices to give it that spicy-tangy sensation. Prepping these wonderful wings is beautifully simple. This recipe calls for ingredients that are common pantry staples, limiting extra trips to the grocery store. Now there are two different ways we can prepare our wings. We can use the outdoor grill, or we can bake them in the oven.
Note: Either of these methods is going to yield delicious wings, but grilling will give them that extra, smokey zest. Plus, those grill marks sure are pretty to look at. Let’s start with our seasoning.
- Toss all of your ingredients into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix them vigorously together. Once prepared, your marinade will store for 2 weeks inside of a sealed container.
- Set your chicken inside a plastic baggie, along with the marinade. Let this sit between 4-5 hours.
- Once our chicken is properly marinated, it’s time to fire up the grill. Place your chicken wings on the grill, but indirectly from the heat. You’re going to grill the wings for about 15-20 minutes total, be sure to flip them every 5-7 minutes.
- The marinade will burn, so be sure to not overcook the wings. Set on a serving plate, and they are ready to enjoy!
Now as we mentioned, you can bake these wings in the oven as well. For this, you’re going to pre-heat your oven to a toasty 400º(F) Line a large, single-layer baking sheet with aluminum foil, and lay your wings out evenly. Place the wings in the oven, and bake for 40-45 minutes. (The time depends on the size of the wings) When baking chicken, it’s always a good idea to have an internal thermometer. The inside temp of the chicken should be no less than 165º(F).
Tip: If the outside is crispy, but the inside is still undercooked, reset the oven to “broil” and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and serve! And just like that, your new culinary conquest is complete!