- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly-grated
- Fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Toppings: diced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh cilantro, extra shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or whatever else sounds good
Looking for a soul-warming soup? Not a simple boring soup, but one full of ingredients and flavor, that is as soothing as it is delicious. Well, we might have the right soup for you, this Sweet Potato Enchilada Soup. It is full of flavor and is a soothing and relaxing soup. Perfect for rainy days, when we are feeling under the weather or just for those cold mornings or nights.
This dish works perfectly as an entry dish, before the main dish or a nice appetizer for a simple gathering. It can last a couple of days in the fridge and it’s very easy to make. Not only is this soup super delicious and full of flavor, but also great for your system as it's gluten-free and it can easily be made into a vegan soup if you would like. The main participants of this recipe are avocado oil, onion, and garlic for our broth, some chicken or veggie stock. Enchilada sauce, you can make it easily within 20 minutes.
However, there is also the option of getting a store-bought enchilada sauce and you can save yourself those 20 minutes in the making. We are also going to use some beans, whichever you and your family prefer. Diced tomatoes and green chilies, sweet potatoes, and some grated cheese, cumin, salt, and pepper will be used for seasoning.
You can top your soup with some avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, or anything that you feel will upgrade your soup game. To start with our soup, the first thing we are going to do is stir-fry our vegetables on an oiled pan, pour your vegetables with some garlic and stir until your vegetables are soft and golden, or until nice and fragrant.
Then we are going to work in the base of the soup, our broth, the base will be chicken stock and the enchilada sauce, we are mixing some of our beans, green chiles, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and cumin. We are mixing everything until it's simmering. Then reduce the heat and let the soup cook for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Now it gets cheesy, add your cheese and mix until it is melted into your soup, check for flavor and add extra salt and pepper.
You can now serve your soup warm and finish it with some creative toppings, tortillas, more cheese, cilantro, or some diced avocado. And if that wasn’t enough you can get extra creative and make it vegan by just removing the cheese, this soup is so delicious that even without the cheese will still taste delicious. For those who prefer a thicker mix add some cornstarch to make it heavier. And add some spice if you want some heat on the soup, which works perfectly with the topping avocados and tortillas. This soup is great and you can add some ingredients, remove others, and make your own version of it, from spicy, creamy, heavier, either way, it still tastes great. And makes for a nice appetizer of comfort easy prep meals.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, enchilada sauce, beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, sweet potatoes, cumin, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cheese until it has completely melted. Taste and season the soup with extra salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve warm, loaded up with all of your favorite toppings, and enjoy!