Serves: 14-16 people
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
- For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
A favorite of Miss Jones herself, this version of a classic Texas sheet cake is equal parts gooey chocolate cake, decadent homemade icing, and crunchy pecans. It's an easy recipe to double up if you've got a Texas-sized crew, and you can even get creative with toppings if you like; chopped nuts, crispy rice, coconut flakes, or dried cherries are all delicious. The real magic of this recipe happens while everything's scorching hot, so it's the perfect treat for summertime baking. Pro tips:
- Vegans can substitute flax eggs, plant-based milk, and coconut oil for the cake recipe. For the icing, substitute coconut oil for butter and plant-based milk for normal milk.
- Grease your pan, then line with parchment paper to make cake removal a breeze!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, water, and melted butter. Add in Miss Jones Organic Chocolate Cake Mix and stir until fully combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased quarter sheet pan or 9x9 pan. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prepare the frosting. Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa and milk, then bring the mixture to a boil for 30 seconds before removing it from the stovetop. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour hot icing immediately over the cake and top with chopped nuts, if desired. Slice and serve Texas Sheet Cake!