Serves: 4-6 people
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Crispy baked tofu :
- 10 ounce block of organic extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- ⅓ cup Tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic powder
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4-6 green cabbage leaves or bibb lettuce leaves
- To prepare the tofu: Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain the tofu and use your palms to gently squeeze out some water. Slice the tofu into thirds so you have three ½-inch slabs. Transfer the tofu to a plate lined with a lint-free tea towel or paper towels. Fold the towel over one tofu slab, then place the other slab on top, then repeat with the last slab. Top with more towel and place something heavy on top (like a cast iron skillet) to help press the water out of the tofu.
- While the tofu drains, make the sauce. In a small bowl combine all the sauce ingredients until well blended. If the flavor seems too bold or the sauce is too thick, thin it with a tablespoon or two of water. Set aside.
- To bake the tofu: Transfer the drained tofu to a cutting board. Slice each slab into four columns and four rows. Whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil and tamari, then drizzle it over the tofu and toss to coat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon rice flour over the tofu, then toss the tofu until the starch is evenly incorporated. Repeat with 1 more tablespoon rice flour. Arrange the tofu in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway, until the tofu is crisp and deeply golden.
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, red bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and salt and toss. Taste, and add additional salt and/or a little splash of lime juice if necessary. Set aside.
- To assemble the mango wraps, divide tofu amongst the salad wraps. Top with mango salad and tahini sauce and serve.