Serves: 6 servings
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 16 ounces of pomegranate juice
- 2 1/2 tsp gelatin
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 cups pomegranate curd
- 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp gelatin
- This vegan 'The Ultimate Pomegranate Mousse Cake' combines a crumble cake and a cheesecake into one delicious dessert. It's the perfect combination.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer.
- Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Add the milk and vanilla, then the flour mixture.
- Whip egg whites until medium peaks form.
- Add egg white mixture to butter mixture 1/4 at a time until all egg whites have been folded in.
- Spread batter into 2 cake pans 5" dividing evenly.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes on 375 degrees until the cake bounces back to the touch, or a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cake rack
- Reduce pomegranate juice to 1/2 cup add 2 oz of pomergranate liquor
- Add eggs, egg yolks, sugar, 1/2 cup pomegranate reduction loquor mixture and lemon zest into a heatproof bowl that fits over a saucepan and whisk until well blended.
- Place this bowl over a saucepan with an inch of simmering water in it, as the mixture begins to get warm and whisk the mixture until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes
- Add the butter, mix well
- Allow mixture to cool , until needed
- Place the gelatin and water in a small bowl and let it sit until it has absorbed all the water
- Whip your cream to medium peaks ,adding sugar as it begins to thicken.
- Fold whipped cream into curd and gelatin.
- Cut cakes into 2 sections, this will give you 4 layers.
- Begin with the first layer, and use the rest Pomegranate reduction and liquor mixture to brush onto the cake layer.
- Then spread an even layer of Mousse on top of the cake.
- Add the next layer and repeat the process until you have added your top layer. You will have three layers of Mousse between the four cake layers.
- Place this into the refrigerator to chill while you make the topping for the cake.
- Place pomegranate juice and pomegranate liquor in a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over pomegranate mixture and let stand 1 minute to soften gelatin. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Set bowl stirring mixture gently until it is cold and slightly thickened but not set.
- Stir in pomegranate seeds and spoon topping onto chilled Mousse cake.
- Chill cake until topping is set about 1 hour.