- 3 large yams
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk
- 1 pie crust (homemade or pre-made)
- Cinnamon sugar
- Egg wash (1 egg, beaten)
InstructionsPrint This Recipe
A few weeks back we shared a recipe from a contributor for a Savory Sweet Potato Pie. When we realized how many people wanted the perfect recipe for a traditional, Southern sweet potato pie, we enlisted the help of the amazing Southern Girl Desserts. Try this recipe at home and remember, you don't need to add parmesan cheese to this one.
- Place yams in a large saucepan and add enough water to completely cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about an hour, or until yams are soft. Remove from water and allow to cool before peeling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add peeled yams to a large bowl and mash. Add in butter, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Using a standing mixer or handheld mixer, beat yam mixture until smooth. Slowly add two eggs, condensed milk, and blend those in as well.
- Egg wash unbaked pie crust and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Carefully pour yam mixture into pie crust.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve Traditional Southern Sweet Potato Pie and enjoy!