Serves: 6 people
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- Cheese, for topping
- Cilantro, for topping
- Sliced avocado, for topping
Don't feel bad eating several bowls of this Healthy Turkey Chili.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey, breaking up the meat and cooking until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. You want the chili to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Garnish with cheese, cilantro, avocados, or anything else you like. Serve and enjoy!