- 12 Medjool dates
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maca powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Crushed goji berries and ground walnuts for rolling
For those who don’t know exactly what Turmeric and Maca powder is may be a little put off by the name of this recipe. Maybe you only clicked on it because you saw the word “energy” in the title… and I mean who doesn’t need a little more energy nowadays. This world is so fast paced and demanding. However, what actually gives these balls energy is the Turmeric and Maca powder.
For those who don’t know anything about Turmeric and Maca powder you are probably wondering what they taste like. Many people have different descriptions on the flavors. Turmeric, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory, is often described as having hints of orange and ginger. Maca powder has an earthy flavor with hints of vanilla and ginger, but sometimes people describe it as having a sort of malt flavor.
Maca powder is the main ingredient that gives this recipe the energy you are looking for. It is loaded with many vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and antioxidants. This ingredient is amazing for your overall health.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s a “no-bake” recipe. It's super fast and easy.
The first thing you do is soak dates (a natural sweetener) in hot water, then put them in a food processor (or you can use a high powered blender). Then you add the other ingredients and mix it until it’s a smooth and slightly sticky texture. The last step is rolling them into balls and you're done. That's it. Super easy isn’t it? The whole process only takes about 10 minutes and you have an energy and nutrient packed sweet treat.
- Remove the pits from dates and soak them in hot water for several minutes. When the dates are softened, drain them and place in food processor. Save the water.
- Add the other ingredients to a food processor and process until mixture begins to thicken and stick together.
- Check texture by pinching a bit between your fingers. It should be sticky and able to keep its shape. If the mixture is too dry, add 1 Tablespoon more water in which you have soaked the dates.
- With the teaspoon scoop the mixture and roll into small balls. Roll individual balls in crushed goji berries or ground almonds to coat.