- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6-7 slices pineapple
- 5 maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
This delicious dessert is proof you can do a lot with a little; ready your bowl and whisk, and don’t worry about an electric mixer. Pineapple, maraschino cherries, and vanilla cake—don’t forget the ice cream! Start with a pie plate or other round dish (square dishes work too).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the butter in the pie plate and let it melt, then add the brown sugar.
- Arrange the pineapple and maraschino cherries in an attractive pattern in the bottom of the pie plate, and proceed with making the cake batter (the pie plate should be out of the oven at this point).
- Whisk the oil and sugar in a medium bowl before adding the applesauce, egg, and vanilla and mixing well. Now for the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Spread the pineapple and cherries in the pie plate. Once everything is settled—it’s still upside down, but everything will be straightened out soon.
- Put it in the oven for twenty to twenty-five minutes, until the top of the cake (soon to be the bottom) is golden brown.
- After removing the cake from the oven, let it cool for five minutes before loosening the edge of the cake from the pie plate with a knife and setting a plate over the whole thing. Turn it over, and voila! I suggest a side of ice cream, but whipped cream is great too!