- 1 3½-4 pound whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh limejuice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peruvian Green Sauce for serving
This Whole Peruvian Chicken is dipped in lime juice, olive oil, garlic, and spices, roasted until crispy and juicy, and then coated in creamy, spicy sauce. This is the perfect dinner you’ve been looking for! This dish is also called Pollo a la Brasa. The rich, spicy sauce is made from cheese, cilantro, mayonnaise, lime, garlic, and peppers to make it extra spicy.
You can serve with rice, fried yucca, or even pan-fried sweet plantains. Serve your family this chicken with any of these and take your dining experience on a new level.
- Use a foil to line a rimmed baking sheet. Apply nonstick cooking spray to a foil and cover a metal rack with it, then place the rack over the baking sheet. Leave space around the edge of the metal rack(this is to allow chicken juices to flow into the rimmed baking sheet).
- Remove giblets and rinse the chicken properly. If there’s any excess fat or skin or pin feathers, remove them. Rub the whole chicken dry with paper towels and place it on the baking sheet.
- Add salt and pepper to the inner part of the chicken. Truss the chicken. Add salt and pepper to the outer part of the chicken. Brush with a quarter of the marinade.
- Place the chicken uncovered in the refrigerator and leave for 8-48 hours until you’re ready to cook. When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat the oven to 450°F. Place the breast side of the chicken down on the wire rack. Set the chicken in the middle rack of the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes then flip the breast sides. Cook for extra 30 minutes. Use a foil sprayed with cooking spray to cover the chicken if it’s getting too brown. Turn the oven off.
- Sprinkle the remaining marinade on the chicken and put back in the oven. Change the foil and leave the chicken for about 10-15 minutes. Place the chicken on a cooling rack and cover with foil. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!