- 1.5 to 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups white rice, soaked
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon (one pinch) saffron threads
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 lemon, sliced for serving
This Aromatic Saffron Chicken with Coconut Rice will take you around the world in 10 minutes. We all know how a combination of different cultures always produces beautiful results. This Aromatic Saffron Chicken with Coconut rice is purely artistic! It is a combination of classic recipes from Thai, India, and the Middle East. A delight to eat as dinner after a long day’s work! This recipe combines the best spices only: turmeric, cinnamon, onion powder, pepper flakes, saffron threads, and raisins. When you are done eating, only three words will come out of your mouth- "I want more". The chicken gives the meal a scrumptious aroma and the lemon adds freshness to the dish. The peas make the meal sumptuous and attractive. You can get your marinated chicken and soaked rice ready before preparing to cook. Are you ready to make your own Saffron Chicken with Coconut Rice? Let's go!
- Combine the coconut milk, turmeric, cinnamon, onion powder, red pepper flakes and sea salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the chicken to a sealable container or zip lock back and pour in ½ cup of the turmeric coconut milk mixture. Marinate at least 15 minutes, up to 12 hours.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl or measuring cup and cover with at least 2 inches of water. Soak at least 15 minutes (up to 12 hours). Drain the water and set rice aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet with a deep lip (or dutch oven) over medium heat and add the chicken with the marinade. Brown chicken for 3 minutes per side.
- Add rice, remaining coconut milk mixture and water to the skillet and stir. Bring to a full boil. Add saffron threads, peas, and raisins and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove lid, stir, replace lid. Let sit 10 more minutes with no heat. Taste the rice for flavor and add more sea salt and/or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.