- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, in bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Greek Seasoning
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pita bread
- Red onion
- Tzatziki sauce
Everyone loves a good chicken, so this Greek Chicken Gyro is easily a hit! Greek food has been in the spotlight for a while now because of its use of veggies and spices. The combination of chicken, fresh veggies, cucumber dill tzatziki, and tangy feta wrapped in warm pita bread is just extraordinary.
There’s absolutely nothing better than homemade chicken gyros – well, that explains why gyros are one of the most popular types of Greek food. Chicken gyros look like some fancy food you can get in a fancy restaurant, but we do assure you, you can make this at home following these simple steps.
What exactly is a gyro? Gyro is a sandwich, but not just any sandwich – a Greek pita sandwich. It is usually made with lamb meat cooked in front of a spinning vertical rotisserie. The already cooked meat is then cut into thin slices and served with pita bread with red onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce drizzled on top. Oh yeah, they are also pronounced “yee-roh” and not “jy-roh”.
This recipe is easy to make, the chicken gyros are marinated in a homemade Greek marinade which is also easy to make and then threaded unto skewers and grilled. You can marinate the chicken ahead of time and also make the sauce ahead of time. Get adventurous with this recipe and switch the usual toppings; tomatoes, red onions, lettuce, tzatziki to cucumbers, hummus, feta cheese, radishes, roasted chickpeas, parsley, diced avocado, artichoke hearts, and olives.
- Place all ingredients in a Ziploc bag and shake well to combine.
- Add chicken and shake well to ensure the marinade covers the chicken. Put in the refrigerator and leave to marinate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and toss leftover marinade. Thread chicken onto skewers and grill until it is well cooked on an outdoor grill or stovetop grill with a pan.
- Remove chicken from skewers and serve wrapped in warm pita bread with lettuce, tomato, red onion and Tzatziki sauce. Serve and enjoy with family and friends.
Storage: To preserve your leftovers, put them in an air-tight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure you store the chicken and the pita bread separately. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the chicken and the bread separately, so the bread doesn’t get mushy when the chicken is warming up.
Notes: It is important you marinate the chicken, don’t skip this part! Planning ahead is also very important for the overall flavor and tenderness of the chicken. Lastly, warm your pitas before you put any toppings on it.