- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Who wants some dry tasteless, have to drink water to get it down, baked chicken??? What? No one? That's what I thought. As great as chicken in (healthy, relatively cheap, and so on and so forth). It can be hard sometimes making it appealing and tasty. Thankfully chicken has been around for awhile and therefore there are all sorts of neat things that you can do with it. What you may ask? Well how about a unique method started in the lovely Italian city of Milan.
You know the city with some of the world's most famous fashion brands are created as well as great minds like Leonardo da Vinci hail from. What we're talking about today is Chicken Milanese, a thin sliced Italian delicacy that'll have you salivating as soon as you've lain out the ingredients. So how does one make such a dish? Are great amounts of cooking knowledge recovered? Maybe a certification from a famous Italian chef? Not so much.
Turns out even as great as this recipe is, it's actually quite simple to make! Let's dig in! Alright, so the first thing that you need to do is cut two regular chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make two thinner pieces. Then place the chicken between plastic wrap and pound it until it's in thin slices then you'll you're going to put each slice of chicken into flour then egg and finally some breadcrumbs.
You'll then cook it in some olive oil until its brown and cooked all the way through. Then you make the salad taking some arugula, olive oil, red onions, Parmesan, lemon juice, and tomatoes to complete. You can place it on top of the chicken or have it off to the side if you prefer. Like I said anyone can do it! No fancy cooking knowledge required. Just some basic ingredients, some work, and a desire to have some great chicken! This can work great for a special date night dinner, spice up regular chicken, or as a healthy lunch option. Be sure to try it out for yourself!
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Place each piece of chicken in between two sheets of plastic wrap. Use the flat end of a meat mallet or a heavy pan to pound the chicken thin.
- Place the flour in a bowl and season it generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the milk and eggs in a bowl and whisk to combine. Place the Italian breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken cutlets in a single layer.
- Cook for 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through. Sprinkle with parsley.